A leading sleep expert has teamed up with home interiors retailer Harry Corry to release the ‘Good Sleep Guide’, aimed at helping people across Downpatrick get a better night’s sleep.
People in Downpatrick may literally be no dozers, so can certainly benefit from the report, which is available today (Monday 4 March) as a free download on www.HarryCorry.com has been created by sleep professor and founder of the British Sleep Council, Dr. Chris Idzikowski.
Dr Idzikowski’s report examines the science of sleep and the impact of our bedrooms on determining the quality of the sleep. The key findings of the report include:
* 5.5 is the golden number – forget a 12 hour sleep, the best sleep is achieved somewhere between 5.5 – 9.5 hours
* Back is not best – sleeping on our back tends to be the worst position for many sleep disorders (for example snoring, breath holding, sleep paralysis). Sleeping on your side with a pillow between the legs and the head resting on one pillow is the ideal, but not everyone is likely to agree!
* Examine your sleep hygiene – simple things you do in your everyday life could be having an impact on how well you sleep at night. For a good night’s sleep, try to avoid caffine, nicotine and alcohol
* One direction – sunrise provides a circle of light that can help naturally waken us, and we should give consideration to the direction our bedrooms face
* Leave your gadgets behind – no iPhones or iPads in the bedroom as these can distract us from mentally preparing for sleep
Speaking at the launch of the report in Downpatrick, Dr Idzikowski said: “We all crave a better night’s sleep, and my guide will hopefully help the people of Scotland get a better night’s rest.
“Sleep is a subject that I’m incredibly passionate about and I’m delighted to team up with Harry Corry to create this report – I hope as many people as possible download it and use it!”
Mark Corry, Marketing Manager for Harry Corry, added: “Customers across our stores are often asking our staff for any tips on how to get a better night’s sleep, so we decided to team up with Dr Idzikowski to create the Good Sleep Guide.
“It’s available on our website as a free download now, so if you’re struggling to switch off at night or you’d just like some ideas on getting a better sleep, visit HarryCorry.com and take advantage of Dr Idzikowski’s advice.”
In the Good Sleep Guide, Dr Idzikowski provides advice on the key areas and factors affecting sleep, including the direction of our bedroom, our bedding choices, our lifestyles and the impact of modern gadgets on sleep success.
The report also makes recommendations on getting a better night’s sleep, from changing the direction you face while sleeping to investing in products that aid sleep.
The Guide has been created for Harry Corry customers who desire a better night’s sleep. The leading home interiors retailer stocks a wide range of curtains, bedding, storage boxes and anti-allergy products to help provide a better night’s sleep across its 50 stores in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Republic of Ireland.