RNLI Saves Man At Gunn’s Island After Boat Took In Water

Portaferry and Newcastle RNLI involved with HM Coastguard in rescue of man from sinking vessel off Gunn’s Island.

Portaferry and Newcastle RNLI involved with HM Coastguard in rescue of man from sinking vessel off Gunn’s Island.

About four miles north of Ardglass harbour the stricken vessel started sinking as the weather was quickly deteriorating.

The two RNLI volunteer crews were requested to launch their lifeboats at 6pm on Thursday 16 September following a request from Belfast Coastguard to go the aid of the casualty who had abandoned his vessel and had been rescued by the crew of a nearby motorboat.

The RNLI Portaferry Atlantic 85 rescue RIB speeds into Ardglass harbour with a man rescued from a vessel taking in water off Gunn’s Island. (Photos by Jim Masson.)

Portaferry RNLI’s inshore lifeboat helmed by Fergal Glynn and with crew members George Toma, Rosslyn Watret and David Fisher onboard, launched immediately and made its way to the scene one mile east of Gunn’s Island, situated southeast of the entrance to Strangford Lough.

Newcastle RNLI meanwhile launched its all-weather lifeboat under Coxswain Gerry McConkey and six crew members onboard.

There were Force 4-5 southerly winds at the time and a 2-2.5m sea swell.

Once on the scene, the lifeboat crews observed that the casualty who had been on his way to Bangor when his vessel took on water and the engine cut out, had deployed his vessel’s life raft prior to his rescue. The crews observed that the boat was partially submerged, was listing and in a spin.

A man rescued by the Portaferry RNLI lifeboat is taken into Ardglass harbour where the Coastguard take over..

Having first checked that the casualty was safe and well on the motorboat, Portaferry RNLI proceeded to transfer the man onto the lifeboat before doing a further assessment. The man was cold and in shock but otherwise well. The crew took the life raft onboard and deflated it before bringing the casualty to the nearest safe port at Ardglass where they transferred the casualty into the care of Portaferry Coastguard. The man was subsequently taken to hospital for a check up

Newcastle RNLI proceeded to deal with the casualty vessel with some crew working to establish an alongside tow while other crew members started the lifeboat’s salvage pump. Due to the sea conditions, a decision was made to keep the pump onboard the lifeboat and instead pass the hose onto the boat to relieve the ingress of water.

In calmer waters and in the entrance of Strangford Lough, two crew members were transferred onto the vessel to assess the extent of the flooding. The lifeboat then proceeded to tow the vessel safely back to Strangford Lough.

Speaking following the call out, Portaferry RNLI Helm Fergal Glynn said: “We would like to wish the casualty well following his ordeal and commend the crew of the motorboat who were first on scene and rescued him.

“This operation was a team effort with our colleagues from Newcastle RNLI and Portaferry Coastguard all playing their part to bring both the man and the vessel to safety.”