PCSP Addresses Anti-Social Behaviour In Kilkeel

The Newry Mourne and Down Policing and Community Safety Partnership (PCSP) along with the Police Service Northern Ireland (PSNI) and local schools is bringing attention to complaints from the community about anti-social behaviour along the Riverwalk in Kilkeel.

The Riverwalk is used daily by all members of the community including young families and the elderly, but recently the community has felt intimidated to use the Riverwalk due to a number of people in the area intent in causing suffering for the local population. Kilkeel High School recently hosted a multi-agency meeting to look at the issue.

Addressing ASB in Kilkeel: (l-r) flanked by the Community Safety Wardens, Councillor Glynn Hanna, Constable Graham Offer, Constable Warren Roberts, Vice Principal of Kilkeel High School, Charmaine McAtee and PCSP Chairperson Councillor Brian Quinn pictured at the Riverwalk in Kilkeel.

The anti-social behaviour has been escalating into incidents of criminal damage of nearby homes and businesses, with windows being broken and graffiti being daubed on walls. While not all gathering along the Riverwalk are a problem, local schools and the PSNI have taken the initiative to issue a letter to parents explaining the problem in the area.

PSNI Inspector Nigel Henry said: “Any young person detected in anti-social behaviour, if deemed appropriate is likely to be reported to the Police Youth Diversion Officer, receive a Community Resolution Notice or face prosecution through the Courts dependant on the specific circumstances in each case. This type of referral can have a lasting impact on a young person’s future and can ultimately affect future educational and career aspirations“.

The PCSP’s Chairperson, Councillor Brian Quinn said: “In order to reassure the community, the area will receive extra attention from the PSNI and the Community Safety Wardens who will be on patrol in the area.

“Anyone with any information in relation to anti-social behaviour occurring at Riverwalk to report this by telephoning 101 and speaking to the Police or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”