Fireworks Licences Required By 23nd October 2018

Fireworks licences must be purchsed by 23rd October 2018.

Anyone wishing to buy, possess or use fireworks must first obtain a licence.

Licence applications for using fireworks over the Halloween period must be submitted to the Department of Justice no later than Tuesday 23 October 2018.

The law states that if you wish to purchase, possess or use fireworks, a licence is required. It is an offence to buy or be in possession of fireworks without one. The Department will process applications as quickly as possible, although those wishing to obtain a licence are urged to apply in good time.

Licence applications and a list of retailers licensed to sell fireworks are available from:

Application forms are also available by telephoning 0300 200 7881or directly from a registered retailer.

Be aware of the risks of obtaining fireworks from sources other than from a registered supplier. Fireworks must be purchased from a supplier who has been registered by the Department of Justice. Don’t be tempted to buy from illegal sources as you could face prosecution. Registered retailers should be easily identified as they must display their licence or certificate of registration prominently at the point of sale.

Parents and retailers are encouraged to act responsibly, comply with the law and use fireworks safely to help reduce firework injuries and ensure Halloween is an enjoyable time for everyone. Be aware what young people are doing and talk to them about the risks of misusing fireworks.  Most injuries and incidents could have been avoided if the firework code had been followed. The firework code can also be viewed on the NI Direct website.

The licence fee where there are less than 100 spectators is £30; for 100 to 1,000 spectators is £80 and for more than 1,000 spectators is £160.

Notes to editors

1. Details on how to apply for a licence, including an application form, can be obtained from NI Direct: 

Guidance for members of the public and information on the law surrounding fireworks can also be obtained at this website. You may also obtain application forms from those businesses registered or licensed to store explosives. Information and advice on using fireworks safely and a list of retailers can also be found at: