Anthony Reid and Gordon Kelly from Mainstay DRP’s Gaolers Kitchen get ready for Shrove Tuesday and try out some ‘Love Food Hate Waste’ pancake recipes. Gaolers Kitchen is situated within the walls of Down County Museum, Downpatrick[/caption] reducing the waste going into our bins! An average family in Northern Ireland throw away £50 per month of food which is often edible. Why not try Love Food Hate Waste’s recipe for banana yoghurt pancakes this Tuesday 12 February 2013. You will need: * 1 egg lightly beaten * 125ml milk * 125ml natural yoghurt * 2 over-ripe bananas, mashed with a fork * 150g plain flour * a pinch of salt * 2 teaspoon baking powder * 1 tablespoon brown sugar Method:
- Mix together the egg, milk, yogurt and bananas.
- Sieve the flour and salt with the baking powder into a large bowl, stir in the ‘wet’ ingredients and the sugar. The batter will look a little lumpy. Transfer to a mixing jug and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over a medium heat until smoking hot, turn the heat down and pour small amounts of batter into the pan. Cook in batches on each side until golden.
- Use a palette knife to flip the pancakes, put onto a plate in a warm place until you have finished cooking all the pancakes.
- Serve with fruit and extra yoghurt.