Woman Sentenced In Downpatrick Court For Manslaughter

dn_screenKaren Hasson (59) was spared a custodial sentence at Downpatrick Crown Court today for the manslaughter of Samuel Carson (91), a neighbour following a fire which started in her garage and spread to his home in Carryduff which led to his death on 1st September 2014.

PSNI Detective Sergeant Ian Davis said:  “The reckless act carried out by the defendant led to the needless death of a much loved father, grandfather and great grandfather.

The late Samuel Carson.
The late Samuel Carson.

“Police carried out a rigorous investigation and in partnership with the Public Prosecution Service gathered the evidence required to bring about this defendant’s guilty plea.

“This was a tragic case and the thoughts of the investigation team are very much with Mr Carson’s family today.”

An oil tank ignited after a fire started in a nearby garage and caught the house he was living in.

A family statement released after the sentencing said: “The Carson family are disappointed by the sentence handed down by the Judge today.

“However, they are glad that this now brings closure to the terrible circumstances of their father Samuel Carson’s death and would ask for privacy from the media now to allow them to get on with their lives.”

Karen Hasson of Thorndale Park, Carryduff, was given a combination order which included 100 hours of community service and a two years’ probation order for the death on 2nd September 2014.

Fire crews at the scene of the incident in 2014 reported that Samuel Carson had made an attempt to get out of the fire-stricken house but was eventually overcome by smoke.

Judge Piers Grant at the sentencing said that this was a “merciful sentence’ adding that “you will not get a second chance” and acknowledged when the fire was started that she did not intend to harm Samuel Carson.

The judge acknowledged too that Mrs Hasson had considerable emotional issues at the time of the incident where the fire started in her garage from a lit cigarette following a dispute with her husband on 1st September 2014.