Wednesday 02 October 2019 10:30:54 PM

The Aughlisnafin GAC Notes and Reports for 26/5/13
More Storms Ahead For Dundrum Sea Wall May 28, 2013| Posted by | Comment on More Storms Ahead For Dundrum Sea Wall Comment

Aughlisnafin U-14’s made it two wins on the spin when they met neighbours St Joseph’s in Annsborough. Shea Croskery was in inspirational form in the first half scoring 4-2 writes Geároid O Loinnacháin.

Eoin Travers marked his return with 1-2 and a very intelligent display working well with Eoin Lundy and Croskery in the half forward line. A free from Oran Flanagan completed the scoring in the first half for the Fin. St Joseph’s were every bit as good as the Fin in the first half scoring 4-3 over the half hour in a game that was nip and tuck. The Fin took a five point lead into the half time interval. Half time Aughlisnafin 5-5 St Joseph’s 4-3.

The Fin team in the Junior Feis Sevens.

The Fin team in the Junior Feis Sevens.

The Fin made an enforced positional switch for the second half with Eoin Lundy moving to full forward and Ben King moving to the half forward line. The Fin were first off the mark in the second half with Oran Flanagan floating over his second point of the game. St Joseph’s then sent over three points in succession but this was negated when Oran Flanagan broke forward from midfield to be impeded in the square.

Flanagan struck the spot kick hard and low into the bottom of the net give the goalkeeper little chance. St Joseph’s still looked dangerous when going forward but an uncompromising Fin defence were able to the task with Callum Haynes, captain for the game, in commanding form who was ably assisted by Jamie Allen, Jack Matthews, Ruairi Quinn and Faelan Murphy. Murphy especially is improving with every match.

St Joseph’s eventually got their fourth minor of the second half after hitting a few wides in the swirling wind but a superb lobbed effort from Ben King from an impossible angle found its way into the back of the net to send the Fin eight points clear. Conor Matthews replced Jack Toner and immediately had an impact winning two frees and rattling the crossbar with the second. Morgan Croskery made some telling catches and was grateful to see and effort cannon off the crossbar. The visitors grabbed the last point of a thrilling game. Final score Aughlisnafin 7-6 St Joseph’s 4-8.

Aughlisnafin team (13 aside) and scorers : Morgan Croskery, Callum Haynes (captain), Jamie Allen, Ruairi Quinn, Jack Matthews, Faelan Murphy, Oran Flanagan (1-2), Darren Toner, Shea Croskery (4-2), Eoin Lundy, Eoin Travers (1-2), Jack Toner, Ben King (1-0) Subs : Conor Matthews, Cathal Murphy, Adam Lenaghan

The next game for the U-14’s is at home to Kilclief next Monday evening at 7.30 pm.

The U12’s were awarded the points on Sunday with Ardglass being unable to fulfil the fixture and this completes the first round of games. The reverse fixtures will commence Sunday 9 June with Carryduff C the visitors to Annsborough.

The U-12’s have been in excellent form of late and will compete in the An Riocht Tournament this Saturday. Details will be provided at training.

The Seniors suffered a two point reversal at home to a rejuvenated Killyleagh side. Killyleagh were clearly the hungrier team against a Fin side missing Ciaran Rice, Niall Duffy and Paul Flanagan from their starting 15, the latter two only just coming back from injuries. Despite their possession in the first half Killyleagh did not translate same to the scoreboard and this was largely due to the form of Fin goalkeeper Maurice McClean who made two superb saves when a Killyleagh forward was sent through one on one.

The Fin were fortunate to take a one point lead into the half time interval when Paul Flanagan, who was on as a blood sub for Breannain McComiskey, grabbed a goal just before the short whistle. Brendan Quinn getting the first goal and points from Sean Willoughby and James Brannigan. Half time Aughlisnafin 2-2 Killyleagh 1-4.

Killyleagh continued to dominate the possession stakes and scored 1-2 in the first 15 minutes of the second half with the Fin unable to score. A well struck James Brannigan free in the sixteenth minute reduced the deficit to three. Brannigan was in superb form and added another from play. Killyleagh tagged on two more points with Noel Travers and

Brannigan replying with superb individual efforts. With minutes left the Fin pressed for the winner but Killyleagh held out for the win. The Fin were perhaps understrength and had one eye on the Feis 7’s final but nonetheless will be disappointed not to get something from the game. Final score Aughlisnafin 2-6 Killyleagh 2-8.

Aughlisnafin : M McClean, C McCabe, F Boden, N Travers 0-1, E McGlue, A Quinn, Patrick Flanagan, J Brannigan 0-4 (1 free), B McComiskey, G Travers, P McClean, C Doran, B Quinn 1-0, S Willoughby 0-1, S Fitzsimmons Subs: Paul Flanagan (1-0), N Duffy, M Malone, B McDonald, S Hazzard

Killyleagh were good value for the win and will be an even tougher proposition when the Junior Championship comes round in August as both were drawn in the same group. The two other teams in Group C are the current league leaders Mitchels and second placed Teconnaught so a very tough group for the Fin to negotiate.

The Seniors also competed in the final of the Junior Feis Sevens against Drumaness on Sunday at St Malachy’s GAC in Castlewellan. It was a historical occasion for the Fin and the lads put in a valiant effort. It may have only been 15 minutes of football but it was hard and fast and played in warm conditions.

The Fin took a two point lead through Sean Willougbhy and Breannain McComiskey but Drumaness hit back with a goal, their only score in the first half. A point from James Brannigan left the team level at half time. Drumaness were more clinical in the second half and went on to score 2-4 with the Fin adding 1-3 to their tally. Breannain McComiskey had a shot well saved by the Drumnaess keeper and when the Fin finally grabbed a goal through James Brannigan there was no time to get another.

Brannigan also grabbed a point with Willoughby tagging on two. Drumaness were worthy winners and we wish them well in their endeavours at St Judes in September. Now having had a taste for it the Fin will be back without a doubt and this experience will stand to them.

Aughlisnafin : M McClean, P McClean, S Fitzsimmons, P Flanagan, C Doran, B McComiskey 0-1, J Brannigan 1-2, S Willoughby 0-3, N Travers, F Boden.

Aughlisnafin Ladies lost both games in the past week against Loughinisland and Saul. In the first match Loughinisland won comfortably but the match against Saul was a much closer affair with Saul edging a two point win. In the first half Nuala O’Hare was on form sending over three points with Amanda Maginn and Claire McShane getting a point each. Half time score Aughlisnafin 0-5 Saul 0-9. The Fin outscored their opponents 2-2 to 0-6 in the second half with O’Hare grabbing two majors and the minors coming from 14 year old Rachel Quinn and Niamh McClean.

The Ladies showed great determination and a big improvement on the game against Loughinisland on Tuesday past. In defence Leonitia Magennis played a stormer with great support play from half forward Niamh Flanaghan. The midfield pairing of Laura Lambe and Jody Rice fought tirelessly for possession and Rachel Quinn assisted them fantastically in the centre of the field. Nuala O’Hare was clearly the shining star of the forward line and displaying some great football along with Claire McShane, Niamh McClean and Amanda Maginn. The most pleasing aspect was a first clean sheet of the season and an indication of the hard work being put in at training.

The Aughlisnafin club would like to extend our congratulations to our playing members achieving success in their involvement with schools football and hurling in the past week.

Fin ladies player Orla Flanagan, a teacher at St Malachy’s, was the manager of the U-14 Girls team that won the Ulster Vocational Schools Football final defeating Our Lady’s Castleblayney 4-13 to 4-5 after extra time. Rachel Quinn was vice captain and put in a superb performance at right half back while Roisin McComiskey was also on the squad.

Also, well done to our U-14 players Darren Toner, Jack Matthews and Faelan Murphy who all played on the team that won the Ulster Vocational Schools Hurling final defeating St Mary’s College, Clady also after extra time.

And finally, well done to Eamon McGlue, a senior team player, who is on the management team of the Year 8 St Louis team that defeated St Patrick’s Downpatrick in the Down Schools B’ football final.

Good luck to Eoin Travers and Darren Toner who are attending the U-14 East Down Development Squad trials.

Congratulations to Ruari King and Cathal Murphy who will represent the club at the U-12’s Go Games Activites Day in Croke Park on the 9 July. It will be a memorable occasion for them and their families.

Several juveniles have declared interest in attending Campa Chormaic which will be held on the week of 8 – 12 July at St Malachy’s High School. Any others wanting to attend should contact our Irish Lanaguage & Cultural Officer Orla Flanagan for details.

Brendan Quinn (43) is the 49 club winner.

Lotto 1, 3, 14, 22. Thomas Walsh matched 3 numbers and won £50. Jackpot £4,950.