Residents Evacuated After Fire At Home In Downpatrick

Detectives are appealing for information following the report of an arson attack on a property in the Pegasus walk area of Downpatrick on Sunday morning 18 July.


Detectives are appealing for information following the report of an arson attack on a property in the Pegasus walk area of Downpatrick on Sunday morning 18 July.

Speaking after the fire at Pegasus Walk in Downpatrick, Detective Sergeant Stewart said: “We received a report by colleagues from the NIFRS of a fire at a block of flats at around 9.30am on Sunday 18th July.

“Residents in nearby houses and flats had to be evacuated, however, no one was injured during the incident.

“This fire could have resulted in serious injuries, even loss of life and could easily have spread to the adjoining properties.

A possible arson attack in an upstairs flat in Downpatrick has shocked the local community.

“We are treating this as arson with intent to endanger life and I am asking anyone with information, or who noticed any suspicious activity around that time, to contact us on 101 quoting reference number 811 of 18/07/.
Information can also be provided to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online at:

Downpatrick SDLP Councillor John Trainor said: “I’m sure this sort of behaviour does not reflect the community at large that lives in the area.

“This sort of behaviour if it is proven to be arson just creates fear. I don’t think the community will tolerate this sort of behaviour.

“Potentially this fire could have had fatal outcomes and I am glad that no-one was injured. My thoughts are with the residents who are affected by this fire.”

Downpatrick Sinn Féin Cllr Oonagh Hanlon has described a recent fire at Pegasus Walk as “deeply concerning”. She added: “It is shocking that this attack has endangered lives and resulted in residents being removed from their homes. House Fires are always a traumatic experience but when it is allegedly started deliberately it really is shocking.

“My thoughts are with those residents affected. I would also like to praise our emergency services who reacted quickly and professionally to protect the residents affected.

“I would appeal to anyone who has information regarding the incident to pass on to PSNI 101.”