NIFRS Tackle Blaze In Conway Square Newtownards

Fire at Conway Square premises in Newtownards put out by NIFRS

Cordners in Newtownards located in Conway Square was a well-known footwear outlet supplying footwear to people of all ages and the premises has been gutted in an early morning fire.

Cordners also have an outlet in Ballynoney. The NIFRS said that they thought the cause of the fire was accidental.

Following the blaze at a retail outlet in Conway Square in Newtownards early on Friday morning ( 8th March), Andy Burns, Group Commander, Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) said: “The fire at a commercial premises in Conway Square in Newtownards has now been dealt with. 

“Firefighters were in attendance from 6.32am this morning.

The blaze at Cordners shop in Conway Square gutted the premises. (Photos courtesy of NIFRS).

“At the height of the incident, approximately 48 Firefighters attended the scene, along with 2 Fire Appliances from Newtownards Fire Station, 2 Fire Appliances from Bangor Fire Station, 1 Fire Appliance from Comber Fire Station, 1 Fire Appliance from Knock Fire Station, 1 Fire Appliance from Donaghadee Fire Station, an Aerial Appliance from Knock Fire Station and the Command Support Unit from Lisburn Fire Station.

“Seven Officers were also in attendance.

“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used six jets to extinguish the fire.

“Due to the tireless efforts of our Firefighters, the fire was brought under control which prevented the fire from spreading to neighbouring properties.

“We would like to thank the public for their patience whilst we dealt with the incident.

“The cause of the fire is believed to have been accidental and the incident was dealt with by 4.48m. There were no injuries and the scene has now been left with PSNI,” added Group Commander Burns.

Cordners in Conway Square, Newtownards: destroyed in an early morning fire.

Strangford MP Jim Shannon speaking after the devastating fire that broke out at Cordners Shoe Shop in Conway Square said: “I was deeply saddened to hear this news and then witness the awful scene of the fire.

“Despite this terrible news, thankfully nobody was hurt, and the Fire Service were able to stop the fire spreading into other businesses on either side, doing their very best to minimise the damage.

“This is simply heartbreaking news for all the staff, managers and owners of this business, as the shop has been there for decades serving the local community and is loved by so many.

“Furthermore, our sincere gratitude must be given to the Northern Ireland Fire Service and local police, for the service they provided from right when the fire started, to cordoning off roads and streets to working tirelessly right to the end of the day to keep our community safe.”