Ten fire appliances and crews attended the major fire at MacNabb’s Recycling Centre near Killough last Thursday.
Ten fire appliances attended the huge fire at MacNabb’s recycling plant on the outskirts of Killough on Thursday afternoon as a major fire very quickly took hold and gutted the main storage and processing area seriously damaging the building which may have to be demolished.
The Fire and Rescue Service responded quickly to address the fierce blaze of combustable materials such as paper, plastic, wood and other substances. No workers were seriously injured in the incident.
The Downpatrick Road leading to the recycling centre from Killough and at the other side of the Downpatrick Road was sealed off by police who re-routed traffic and pedestrians as the smoke and flames blew over in the direction of Rossglass over the road. There were fears that the smoke could be contaminated with asbestos dust.
MacNabbs recycles mainly industrial waste and it is understood there was no damage done to the vehicles. The mammoth clean up and assessment of the damage has now begun.
McGrath says safe resolution to Downpatrick factory fire a blessing
SDLP South Down MLA Colin McGrath said he was glad that the major fire at the Killough recycling plant was brought under control quickly and safely by the NIFRS.
He said: “My thoughts were with those who fought the fire and all those affected subsequently, the workers, management and owners.
“I understand that all of the staff team were evacuated safely which was an initial first concern.
“It was important for the NI Fire and Rescue Service to bring the fire under control as quickly as possible and to ensure that the damage to the property is minimal. Huge billows of smoke could be seen for miles around indicating the seriousness of the fire.
“I hope that MacNabb Waste Management is able to recover quickly form this major incident. MacNabb’s are a successful company and a major employer in the area.”
Mason praises quick action during MacNabb Waste Management fire
Sinn Féin Councillor Cathy Mason has said that the safe evacuation of workers during a fire at MacNabb Waste Management is a huge relief and has paid credit to those tackling the fire.
The South Down Councillor said: “It is a huge relief that all staff at the Macnabb waste management company were safely evacuated from the site during the fire.
“I want to pay tribute to the fire service who attended the scene and attempted to bring the fire under control.
“The MacNabb recycling plant is a significant local employer and I will offer my assistance to them over the coming days to help ensure they recover as quickly as possible.”