Kilmore Triumph In Local Derby Against Downpatrick



Division 1A

Downpatrick   2   Kilmore Rec  10

Middle of the Division 1A side travelled to Rossconnor in a league clash with Downpatrick FC who were trailing at the bottom of the table.

Despite valiant efforts by the home side, Kilmore proved too strong for the young men in green who kept going to the last.

Kilmore opened the scoring with a very early goal from Luke Murtagh who got control in the box and sent the ball to the back of the next.

The second goals came from Kilmore’s Joe McKinney within twenty minutes when he found space and ran in getting past the defenders and coolly slotting the ball in.  And not long later McKinney scored again from a penalty.

Kilmore defender Tim Collins on the ball with Downpatrick’s Ryan Cassidy closing in.

The Downpatrick defenders had their work cut out as Kilmore piled on the pressure with few decent breaks from Downpatrick, then at 30 minutes, Downpatrick won a penalty and drew a goal back easing the pain a little.

But just before the whistle to end the first half, Kilmore defender Matthew Stewart curled in a corner for a clear goal to the back post putting the visitors 4- ahead. And just when things were getting bad for Downpatrick, they took a turn for the worse. After a great fingertip save by keeper Daniel Smyth, Kilmore midfielder ran through with the ball and found the space to shoot from the back of the box putting Kilmore in the lead at the break at 1-5 … almost. There was still some excitement in this half yet as with seconds to go incredibly Downpatrick fought back and broke up into Kilmore’s half and won a penalty and Jarlath Branagan again netted putting the half-time score at 2-5.

The second half proved more of the same as the home side were pummled by the visitors.  The Kilmore attack was almost relentless with spells when Downpatrick did show what they were made off, but the home side’s finishing left a lot to be desired for their fans. Within minutes McKinney unleashed  a volley that hit the crossbar.

In the 58th minute, Eoin McGrattan send a long ball down the middle to Gary Stranney who first timed his kick to the back of the Downpatrick net.

Downpatrick forward Eoin Boyle takes on the Kilmore defence.

Minutes later Downpatrick’s Ryan Cassidy almost scored in a great more demonstrating his persistence in winning the ball and crossing to McKinney who was just blocked at the last second from scoring.

With almost 20 minutes left to play, McGrattan headed down a cross from a corner into the Downpatrick net. Then McKinney secured his hat-trick when he stroked an easy ball into the Downpatrick net.

It was then the turn of Kilmore sub James Casement to add his name to the scoresheet. Then with ten minutes to go, Kilmore’s Matthew Hardy y drove in the final coffin nail with a short half volley.

Downpatrick fought to the last and were unlucky not to be rewarded with a fine move from defender Morgan Fitzpatrick to sub Adam Jervis who was just wide of the post.

This game was largely one sided but Downpatrick, who are quite a young side, did have some opportunities and didn’t capitalise on them well enough the contain Kilmore.

Downpatrick FC: 1 Daniel Smyth, 2 Conall Gardiner, 3 Morgan Fitzpatrick, 4 Matthew McGarrity, 5 Con Farrell,  6 Jarleth Branagan, 7 Ryan Cassidy, 8 Joe Healy,  9 Andrew McCoubrey, 10 Declan McComiskey, 11 Eoin Boyle. Subs: 12 Gary Trueman, 14 Adam Jervis, 15 Anthony Carson.

Kilmore Rec:  1 Chris Turley, 2 Sean Bell, 3 Matthew Stewart, 4 Tim Collins, 5 Mark McMullan, 6 Michael Monan, 7 Matthew Hardy, 8 Eoin McGrattan, 9 Joe McKinney,  10 Luke Murtagh, 11 Gary Stranney. Subs: 12 Gary Kennedy, 14 James Casement, 15 Christopher Magee.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here