Kilmore Rec Too Hot For Grove United

Kilmore Rec put on pressure against Grove Utd

Kilmore Rec put on pressure against Grove Utd


Division 1a.

Robert Adams Park, Saturday 12th March 2022.

Kilmore Rec 3 1 Grove United.

Kilmore’s Eoin McGrattan in action with Grove’s Jay Black. (Photos by Cyril McKinney.)

The sun shone in Robert Adams Park as Kilmore Rec entertained Grove United for this league clash and enjoyed most of the play throughout this tough encounter writes Cyril McKinney.

Right from the first whistle Kilmore were on the offensive and were rewarded when they were won a penalty after only 6 minutes of play when Grove defender Jay Black upended Eoin McGrattan in the box.

Midfielder John McCarthy on the ball for Kilmore Rec against Grove.

The penalty was expertly coverted by Anton McGrattan to help settle any home nerves. Most of the first half was played out in the Grove half as Kilmore continued to press without success due to some last ditch defending and some good saves from Michel Davidson in the Grove nets.

On 16 minutes Patrick Grant was over the top from the edge of the box for Kilmore after some great approach work from the hard working Joe McKinney and on 26 minutes McCarthy volleyed and forced a great save from Davidson who diverted the ball over the bar at full stretch bound for the top corner. On 39 minutes Gary Kennedy hit the post from long range with the keeper beaten. At the other end such was the Kilmore dominance in the first half that the only save that Turley had to make came in the 44th minute from a long shot from McNerlin.

Kilmore doubled their lead 10 minutes into the second half. McKinney made a surging run down the right flank and a great cross found the in-rushing Eoin McGrattan who made no mistake with a great finish.

Kilmore seemed to ease up and allowed the visitors a bit more possession and on 70 minutes McNerlin tested Turley from outside the box with a rasping shot but Turley showed class and concentration to finger tip it over the bar.

Grove’s Michael McNerlin makes a pass as Kilmore Rec’s Barry Walsh closes in.

Kilmore responded on 76 minutes when following great work from Barry Walsh, Joseph McKinney was on hand to finish a great move and effectively kill of any hopes of a Grove comeback.

McKinney brought another good save from Davidson in the closing minutes from inside the box. Grove got a consolation goal in the final minute when Grove sub David Long was adjudged to have been fouled in the box and the resulting penalty was hammered home by David Johnston to leave the final score at 3-1 to Kilmore.

There were some great performances all over the pitch from Kilmore Rec. Kennedy and Larkin in defence played solid, Walsh in the middle was the glue, and the tireless work of McKinney and McGrattan upfront kept the pressure on through the game.

Kilmore Rec: Chris Turley, Christopher Magee, Patrick Grant, Jack Larkin, Gary Kennedy, Barry Walsh, John McCarthy, Anton McGrattan, Joseph McKinney, Michael Carvill, Eoin McGrattan. Subs: John Patterson for Eoin McGrattan, Joshua Smyth , Connor Degan for Michael Carvill.

Grove United: Michael Davidson, Adam McKnight, Jay Black, David McCallen, Paul Montgomery, Corey Kerr, David Johnston, Michael McNerlin, Daniel Ellis, Jake Long , Dylan Erwin. Subs: Philip McCann for Dylan Erwin, David Long for Paul Montgomery, Harry Morrow for Daniel Ellis.