Kilmore Rec Through To Clarence Cup Round 4

Kilmore Rec Beat Castlewellan Town In Clarence Cup Qualifier

Clarence Cup Round 3,

Venue: Robert Adams Park, Crossgar,

Final Score: Kilmore Rec  3  0 Castlewellan Town

This Clarence Cup Round Three tie was the final game played at Robert Adams Park before the redevelopment of the ground begins and it was a winning send off for the home side running out as 3-0 victors against Castlewellan Town. writes Cyril McKinney.

It was an action packed first which had half had a bit of everything – lots of action at both ends, resolute defending, two goals, a red card and a missed penalty.

In the opening 20 minutes there was not much between the sides with both sets of defences on top and not much time and space to be found in midfield.

Castlewellan Town’s Ruairi Croskery in action with Kilmore Rec’s Jonathan Murray in the Clarence Cup Round 3 clash. (Photos by Cyril McKinney.)

The opening goal of the game came on 24 minutes when Kilmore’s Anton McGrattan showed neat footwork on the right flank and sent over a great cross which defender Adam Garland could only head on which found Jonathan Murray lurking at the back post.

Murray volleyed home first time giving the visiting keeper zero chance – a superbly taken goal.

Kilmore then doubled their lead two minutes later when Philip Doran showed good close control in the penalty box and squared the ball for Michael Carvill to side foot home from 6 yards.

Then things got more difficult  for Castlewellan on 32 minutes when their net minder Rory Burns was shown a straight red by the referee for raising his hand to Eoin McGrattan who ran across his path inside the Castlewellan box.

Defender Ryan Magorrian took over in goal and proceeded to make a double save from the resulting spot kick taken by Michael Carvill and follow-up from Phillip Doran before Michael Carvill volleyed over the bar in front of an empty net.

Castlewellan stuck to their game plan but could not carve out any real threat to the Kilmore goal before half-time. 

Eoin McGrattan battles his way forward down the left wing for Kilmore Rec and is challenged by Castlewellan Town captain Conall Corrigan.

The second half did not live up to expectations with both sides failing to take advantage of any meaningful chances and both sets of defences were on top.

Kilmore failed to really press home their man advantage until they finally created an opening on 83 minutes when Eoin McGrattan won the ball deep in his own half and released Anton McGrattan who surged forward.

The ball broke to substitute Shay McGrattan who unleashed a rocket of a shot which took a slight deflection which then deceived the unlucky keeper and as it rebounded off the crossbar to fall kindly to Anton McGrattan who made no mistake from close in to make sure of the win.

Overall this was an entertaining and a well contested game.

Castlewellan’s Rhys Clarke on the ball as Kilmore ‘s Gary Kennedy closes in.

Castlewellan were well into this game but were undone by two quality finishes and a moment of poor discipline while Kilmore failed to really press home their advantage.

But Kilmore always looked to be doing enough with Larkin and the veteran Kennedy solid and commanding at the back.

Castlewellan’s stand-in keeper Ryan Magorrian was Impressive with the double save from the penalty and a top class save at full stretch to his right in the second half.

Kilmore Rec: Jack Ireland, John McCarthy, Jonathan Murray,  Jack Larkin,  Gary Kennedy, Christopher Magee, Anton McGrattan, Niall Walsh, Philip Doran, Michael Carvill, Eoin McGrattan. Subs: Caolan Conlon for Jonathan Murray, Shay McGrattan for Philip Doran, Philip Traynor for Michael Carvill

Castlewellan Town: Rory Burns, Ryan Magorrian, Gareth Kidd, Adam Garland, Ruairi McArdle, Cormac Barr, Danny McKay, Conall Corrigan, Rhys Clarke, Ruairi Croskery, Karol Jarosinski. Subs: Ciarnan Stratton for Gareth Kidd, Matthew Stratton for Danny McKay