Killyleagh YC Win Valuable Points In Relegation Struggle

Killyleagh YC win points to keep them out of the relegation zone


League Division 1A,

Venue: The Showgrounds,

Killyleagh YC 3  V  2 Dunmurry YM.

Killyleagh came to face Dunmurry at the Showgrounds knowing that if they were to survive in Division 1A they needed to win the points from this match.

Killyleagh welcomed Dunmurry to the Showgrounds bathed in bright sunshine but with a cool wind blowing and from the first whistle Killyleagh were on the front foot writes Cyril McKinney.

For the first 20 minutes the visitors struggled to get over the halfway line.

Pictured (l-r) is Killyleagh forward Toby Carinduff in action with Andrew Ginn for Dunmurry. (Photos by Cyril McKinney @).

On 14 minutes Killyleagh were awarded a penalty when Conor Hamilton was up-ended just inside the box and Kodi Carson stepped up and dispatched the penalty to put Killyleagh 1-0 up.

This seemed to waken up the visitors who gradually worked their way into the game and were level on 25 minutes when the ball dropped to Dunmurry number 11 Daniel Burns around 20 yards.

Burns let fly with a left footed thunderbolt which was past Carberry in the Killyleagh nets before he could set himself to square things up.

Killyleagh’s Kodi Carson moves in to tackle Dunmurry’s Kyle Carruthers.

Burns then showed his first strike was no fluke and he repeated the shot from the edge of the box and again found the net to put the visitors 1-2 in front before halftime at 33 minutes.

Into the second half and it was end-to-end action in the opening exchanges.

Despite Dunmurry seeing plenty of possession Killyleagh got back on level terms when from a counter attack Killyleagh’s Kodi Carson held off a defender to drill the ball past the advancing keeper to make it 2-2 on 49 minutes.

At this stage Killyleagh were on top and some great play on the left wing was rewarded when Sam Carson reacted bravely and dived in to nod home from close range to put Killyleagh back in front on 58 minutes.

On the ball is Killyleagh’s Sam Carson giving his all to keep Killyleagh in Division 1A.

Dunmurry then changed their formation and attacked in numbers.

But the determined Burns fired over the top from six yards followed by Andrew Ginn heading wide on 76 minutes before Dunmurry number 8 Darren Elliot in reply saw his strike on target wiped out by a terrific flying save from Carberry on 83 minutes.

Despite laying siege to the Killyleagh goal Dunmurry could not get past a stubborn rear-guard of Aaron Carberry in nets who was outstanding.

And substitute Gary Carberry in defence used his physical presence along with the entire Killyleagh team who were determined to see this game out and the final whistle was greeted with loud cheering from the players and the many supporters there watching.

This was a a physical match with 2 yellow cards dished out to Killyleagh and 4 to Dunmurry.

This was a critical match for Killyleagh as they were struggling to avoid relegation.

They needed all the points they can muster between now and the close of the season are vital for their survival in Division 1A.

They are ahead of the Malachians who are trailing on the bottom but Newcastle with 2 games in hand could yet overtake Killyleagh.

Ballynahinch Olympic are hovering above the bottom three and will likely be safe for the time being as the leagues hurtle to their inevitable conclusions.

Man of the Match was awarded to Ross Murray and Kodi Carson jointly.

Killyleagh YC: Aaron Carberry, Nathan Hamilton, Caolan Lennon, Ross Murray, Conor Hamilton, Sam Carson, Keegan Rice, Toby Carinduff, Mark Murray, Kodi Carson, Kieran Sullivan. Subs: Gary Carberry for Kieran Sullivan, Peter Russell for Mark Murray.

Dunmurry YM: Daryl McCann, Torin Kerr, Mark Devlin, Kurtis Irwin, Scott Larmour, Kyle Caruthers, Darren Elliot, Andrew Ginn, Jamie Kidd, Michael Long, Daniel Burns. Subs: Darren Magill for Nathan Clulow for; and Scott Brown for Jamie Kidd.