Killyleagh YC Toppled By Derriaghy In Border Cup Semi

Killyleagh YC come to the end of the road in their Border Regiment Cup hopes in the semi-final against Derriaghy

Killyleagh YC come to the end of the road in their Border Regiment Cup hopes in the semi-final against Derriaghy CC


Border Regiment Cup semi-final.

Venue: Seaview, Belfast on Wednesday 1st December.

Final Score: Killyleagh YC 2 Derriaghy CC 5.

It was a bad day at the office for Killyleagh as they dropped out of the Border Cup in a 2-5 defeat against Derriaghy CC writes Jim Masson.

Hopes were running high as Killyleagh scored a very early first goal. Jack Sharvin sent the ball dipping over the head of the Derriaghy keeper to open the scoring. Killyleagh were up on their toes and certainly challenging Derriaghy and looked initially solid contenders to get into the final.

The Killyleagh team.

But Derriaghy kept calm and countered the best that Killyleagh could through at them as Jack Sharvin was well fired up and figured in a number of quick and well connected attacks early on.

Derriaghy fought back and Nathan Best had a chance to open the scoring with a header but stand-in Killyleagh keeper Jack Coulter held the ball well. Killyleagh first team keeper Aaron Carberry had been suspended in a previous match following a clash in the goalmouth but was cleared to play in the final if Killyleagh got through.

The game settled down after the first rush of adrenalin from both sides and went into a spell where the ball moved up and down the pitch with neither side gaining a decisive edge.

The Killyleagh team.

Then Derriaghy attacked and Jordy Malone found the ball at his feet near the goal and volleyed over the bar. A minute later he held the ball well challenging the Killyleagh defenders and knocked it inside the right hand post beating Coulter to equalise.

A reply by Jack Sharvin passing to Declan McComiskey pulled back another goal at 33 minutes in a lightning attack.

Jack Sharvin was later elbowed and won a free kick which led to a corner at the Derriaghy end but Derriaghy broke quickly and caught the Killyleagh defence off guard and Jordan Baker knocked the ball in to keep Derriaghy on course.

The Derriaghy team.

Another hammer blow for Killyleagh came as Derriaghy’s Nathan Best ran through the middle and on a one-to-one with the goal keeper shot the ball into the net at a sharp angle on 40 minutes.

As tensions mounted in the game, Derriaghy midfielder Marty McEvoy was red carded for kicking a player just before the half-time break.

Killyleagh tried to redress the balance and McComiskey crossed to Jack Sharvin but the header on target just lacked enough force and it was grabbed by the keeper.

Killyleagh’s Jack Sharvin celebrates after scoring in the early minutes against Derriaghy.

As the game re-commenced for the second period, Killyleagh attacked first with a cross from Rice to Jack Sharvin who shot just wide. Both teams were pressing hard and Rice made a very useful solo into the Derriaghy box and was crowded out by defenders before he could shoot, but a good attempt.

Then from a throw into the the Killyleagh box, Jason Smyth found possession and ran across the box and netted the ball to put Derriaghy in the poll position.

Derriaghy were buzzing at this point but Killyleagh has their chances when Jack Sharvin had a free kick at 40 yards and sent a rocket on target but the Derriaghy keeper got his hand to the ball fingering it away for a corner. Sharvin had another pop at the goal with a good effort on the turn, again on target but the keeper was in good form and denied his efforts.

Killyleagh’s Sam Carson in action with Derriaghy’s Jordy Malone in the Border Cup semi-final.

About half way into the second half Killyleagh’s Sam Carson went down in the penalty box and there were shouts for the ball to be spotted but the remonstrations fell on deaf ears.

Killyleagh were fighting back with all they had and both McEvoy and Best were just a few inches over the bar with their volleys. These could have been match changers.

The Derriaghy CC scorers against Killyleagh YC: l-r, Jordy Malone, Jordan Baker, Jason Smyth and Nathan Best.

The minutes in extra time proved fatal for Killyleagh as they pressed forward to score and try for their place in the final, but a cross from Derriaghy’s Best to Baker saw him round keeper Jack Coulter and score a coffin nail goal.

Killyleagh burst forward as a reply and a shot from Keegan Rice hit the crossbar. But despite their frantic and heroic efforts, Killyleagh were edged out of the Border Cup. They certainly had their chances but luck was not with them on the night. The final score reflected that Derriaghy was the stronger of the two, but the scoreline could easily have been a lot closer.

Killyleagh YC: Jack Coulter, Jonny Murray, Jonathan Sharvin, Jamie Sharvin, Niall Walsh (C), Barry Walsh, Keegan Rice, Darren McConnell, Sam Carson, Jack Sharvin, Declan McComiskey. Subs: Conor McCarron. Gary Murray, Ethan Davidson.

Derriaghy CC: Jason Crawford, Gareth Henderson, Curtis Brown, Jordy Malone, Ross Harland, Marty McEvoy, Nathan Best, Ethan Taggart, Jordan Baker, Jason Smyth (C), Thomas Rosco, Ryan Leach. Subs: Chris Patterson, Nick Beta.