Killyleagh Hold Drumaness Mills To A Draw

Local Drumaness-Killyleagh Derby Ends In Draw

Local Drumaness-Killyleagh Derby Ends In Draw

The NAFL. Premier League.

Drumaness Mills 1 1 Killyleagh YC.

On a very cold day with fierce winds for this local derby, Killyleagh YC travelled to Drumaness Mills for a critical battle for points to try and stave off relegation from the Premier Division writes Jim Masson.

Killyleagh made the first effort at goal with a volley from Peter Russell then at the other end Drumaness captain Gary Murdock shot just over the bar. Both teams tried to settle down after the opening salvoes but playing with a harsh cross-wind made tidy play and arial tactics almost impossible.

Arron Carberry clears the ball from the Killyleagh goal as Drumaness MIlls press for a winner. (Photos by Jim Masson.)

Gradually it was the home side who appeared to take the advantage with James McGivern pressing attacks into the Killyleagh defence. He made an excellent pass through to Adam Kearney whose shot was on target but was well saved by Aaron Carberry.

Minutes later another Drumaness attack from Callum Dougan and Rory Mason saw the ball slip through to Kearney again who struck it well but was just on the wrong side of the post on 15 minutes.

The Drumaness Mills team.

Killyleagh then came into the game more and won a corner. The ball was cleared but the visitors secured possession and pressed forward again and a volley from Sam Carson out of the blue at 40 yards beat keeper Marc Reid to put them in the driving seat on 18 minutes.

Immediately Drumaness pressed back but Killyleagh now had their tails up. Drumaness did manage to secure a corner but Carberry grabbed it safely.

A break up the right wind saw Drumaness defender Benjamin Campbell pass forward to Eoin Lundy who ran forward and struck well but was just off target. Then on the back of this attack, Mason found space for a shot and drove the ball just off target because of the strong gusts and went over.

A spell of pressure by Drumaness was well contained by Killyleagh and a free kick just outside the box was once again was stymied by the secure hands of Carberry.

Killyleagh’s Sam Carson is mobbed by his players after scoring with an excellent volley against Drumaness Mills.

The game went into a lull for 10 minutes and came to life again and on 38 minutes Drumaness made a strong bid at the Killyleagh goal by Mason and Wright crossing to Kearney, and after two corners made an great cross to James McGivern but the ball was inches too far to reach for a strike at an almost certain goal.

Drumaness kept up the pressure in the first half and Campbell made an excellent cross through the Killyleagh goal area but there were no takers. Then Dougan put the ball through to Lundy to McGivern but the pass was a fraction too pacy in the wind to plant into the Killyleagh net.

In the second half, Killyeagh came out strong determined to build on their one goal lead. But th ehome side fought back making a few useful attacks.

The wind certainly had unsettled play, but Cameron Howard in a Killyeagh attack managed to get in a volley and was just over the bar from outside the box at 70 minutes. The game was at this stage getting more physical and both teams were desperate to score. Five minutes later Cameron Howard was yellow carded, followed by Dougan after a collision.

Drumaness player Callum Dougan in action with Killyleagh’s goal scorer, Sam Carson.

With 15 minutes to go and the home side trailing by a goal, tensions went up a gear and another two yellow cards were dished out. Players were frustrated due mainly to the awkward wind, but sub Michael Burns managed to make a solid strike but was just off target. This was the best opportunity yet for Drumaness in the second half.

Then minutes later Lundy put a cross over to sub Eoin Rooney who just missed a header into the Killyleagh net.

This was followed by an attack by Killyleagh and Burns shot just over the bar, then Naseem Ouldhamlet passed to Peter Russel who put through to Kieran Sullivan who lashed the ball well but it was expertly deflected over the top bar by Drumaness keeper Marc Reid for a corner.

As they piled on the pressure on Killyleagh, McGivern won another corner for Drumaness who were looking at the last throw of the dice. Drumaness sub Rooney fought back and attacked but went over the bar, not managing to keep the ball low.

Then as Drumaness pressed forward, McGivern took aim from half way into the Killyleagh half and found the back of the Killyleagh net to equalise, a well struck volley beating Carberry.

In fifth gear: Drumaness striker James McGivern celebrates after scoring the equaliser against Killyleagh.

Killyleagh made a final break in the dying embers and Ryan Blaney forced Reid to palm the ball over the crossbar for a corner which was eventually cleared.

Drumaness were lying third clear from the bottom of the Premier League but the visitors were faced with an uphill task facing two opponents – Drumaness Mills… and the wind.

Drumaness Mills: 1 Marc Reid, 2 Benjamin Campbell, 3 Eoin Lundy, 4 Thomas McConville, 5 Gary Murdock (C), 7 Adam Kearney, 8 Daniel Bell, 9 Callum Dougan, 10 James McGivern, 11 Rory Mason, 18 Owen Wright. Subs: 12 Conor Dornan, 14 Conor Carew, 15 Eoin Rooney.

Killyleagh YC: Aaron Carberry, Fintan Walsh, Ryan Blaney, Kieran Sullivan, Jonathan Cheevers, Keegan Rice (C) Declan McComiskey, Sam Carson, Gary Morrison, Peter Russell, Cameron Howard. Subs: Nathan Hamilton, Naseem Ouldhamlet, Michael Burns.