Killough Win Over Dunloy Sees Them Through In Irish Cup

Killough five goal blitz sees off visitors Dunloy in Irish Cup R3 match

Killough five goal blitz sees off visitors Dunloy in Irish Cup R5 match

The Newcastle and District Amateur Football League

Irish Cup Round 3

Killough FC v Dunloy Reserves

Venue: Millfield, Killough

Final Score: 5-3

Spectators who embraced the cold blustery day at The Millfield enjoyed a feast of goals in a match which Killough eventually took by the scruff of the neck to win convincingly writes Jim Masson.

Confident from the start, Killough worked as a team at a fast pace through the game grinding their opponents down when Gareth George put the ball to the head of Jade McLaughlin to nodded it into the Dunloy net.

It took all but six minutes to get a shot on target at the Killough goal by Odhran Laverty that wall well handled by keeper James Crangle. Killough replied with a shot over the bar from Ruairi Sharvin. Killough looked the more hungier of the two teams, and were hustling for the ball. The home side had numerous attacks at the Dunloy goal trying to break them down but Dunloy stood their ground.

The Killough scorers: jack McLaughlin, Gareth George, Kevin Groves, David Taggart and Conor Kelly.

Caoimhin Groves took a corner from Killough and after a fair bit of tussling in the box, Cillian Burns got a header but it was a fraction off target over the bar but a solid chance.

Dunloy were determined not to lie down and had a period of sustained attacks and won a penalty against Killough. PJ McAleese stepped up to the spot but it was Killough keeper who was up to the mark as he made a great save low to the inside left post.

Dunloy’s Chris McCurry tries to keep Killough forward David Taggart out of the box.

Again Dunloy dug deep and fought back and a terrific move from PJ McAleese to Cillian Burns to Sean Tennyson to almost go level but a shot on target was headed over by a Killough defender for a corner which in turn was headed wide.

Killough then stepped up the pressure again and it was Sharvin who put the ball through to Taggart who curled the ball just the wrong side of the post from the bacl of the Dunloy box. And again Killough had another chance to stitch Dunloy when Taggart broke through into the Dunloy box and shot wide.

In this fast paced match, Dunloy made a quick break and McAleese shot at the Killough goal but was denied a goal by the head of Groves.

As the game became more physical, the referee yellow carded McAleese for a heavy tackle. Then Killough were on the prowl and broke into the Dunloy box and a pass from Taggart to the boot of McLaughlin forced the keeper to make a critical fingertip save forcing the ball over the top bar for a corner.

Conor Kelly of Killough celebrates after scoring while the Dunloy heads were down.

Overall the Killough workrate looked superior to Dunloy and they were having more attacks and shots at goal than the visitors.

However, on 38 minutes, Killough received a reality check as Dunloy scored from a free kick inside the half way line. The Killough keeper came out from his goal and slipped letting the ball into his net.

Killough replied with an excellent solo run by Sharvin and he won a double corner putting Dunloy under serious pressure.

But the second half compared to the first half was a lively affair, more physical as both teams thought they could win it. Killough opened with an attack, then Sean Tennyson of Dunloy forced Killough back and won a double corner.

Killough bounced back up the field and won another double corner as Killough pressed for a goal. A great chance arose when Jade McLoughlin hit a peach but it reverbrated off the crossbar. The home side had gone up a gear and Taggart and McLaughlin combined well opening up the Dunloy defence wearing the defence down.

Then in the 14th minute into the second half, Lee Murphy crossed to Taggart who headed home for a goal putting Killough back in the lead.

Dunloy starte dto come apart with the sustained attacks of Killough and a serie sof corners saw eventually Murphy crossing to the goalmouth and Groves heading in for an excellent goal.

Despite the solid pummelling from Killough, Dunloy tried to pull back and Montgomery make a super solo run into th eKillough box and crossed to McCurry who shot just a fraction off target.

Killough piled on the pressure in the closing stages of the game to claw out a 2-goal lead.

Killough were finding more holes in the Dunloy defence and a side flick from Sharvin from a McLaughlin cross almost paid off. But not to be detreed, Dunloy found the strength and attacked and Ryan McFarline took a volley at the Killough goal but went wide.

Then out of the blue, McALeese received the ball and scored for Dunloy pulling them bacl to 3-2, still with within range o factually winning.

But just when Killough were trying to claw back, Dunloy won a corner and McCurry slotted the ball into the Killough net drawing the sides level once more.

However, that was the last flurry from Dunloy because Killough turned on the hot water and scalded their opponents at the tail end of the game with relentless attacks.

McLaughlin on the right received the ball and ran round the Dunloy defence and hammered the ball into the top of the Dunloy net.

Then, just before the final whistle, Killough sub Connor Kelly scored from a free on the right putting his side clearly into the next round of the Irish Cup.

Killough certainly kept up a ferocious pace against Dunloy and wore them down into the second half.


Killough FC: James Crangle, Lee Murphy, Gareth George (C), Eamonn Gargan, Caoimhin Groves, Cillian Burns, Ruairi Sharvin, Rian Burns, David Taggart, Jade McLaughlin. Subs: Connor Kelly, Sean Og Burns, Declan Burns.

Dunloy Reserves: Aidan Gillen, Anthony Doran, Cathair Henderson, Ryan McFarline, Chris McCurry Odhran Laverty, Brendan McCurry, (C), PJ McAleese, Sean Tennyson, Jamie Montgomery, Shea McLue. Subs: Conor McGilligan, Eoin McGrattan, Ryan McKinley, Connor Mullen.