Killough Too Strong For Dundrum in Cup Tie Quarter Final

Newcastle and District Amateur Football League.

NFU Mutual Quarter Final.

Killough 2 0 Dundrum

Killough welcomed near neighbours Dundrum to a windswept and bitter cold Millfield for this quarter final tie writes Cyril McKinney.

Both sides had to contend with a soft and uneven pitch but this did not deter their intent to play good football. It was end to end in the opening exchanges  with chances rare and neither keeper seriously under pressure.

Dundrum captain Chris Hogg  flashed a header over the bar  from a right wing free on 12 minutes  and Killough’s hard working Jack McLaughlin had a shot saved on 17 minutes by the keeper from right edge of the box.

Killough triumphed against Dundrum in the Harry Clarke cup tie.

As the game unfolded, both defences stood firm with great work from Killough’s veteran  Colm Stranney and his partner young Sean Og Burns who both read every situation with great authority in difficult conditions while Captain Chris Hogg and Kennedy were keeping things tight for Dundrum.

Nearing half-time, Killough wingmen McLaughlin and Riain Burns supported by Declan Burns were seeing more of the ball and causing problems for the visitors and on the stroke of half-time a surging run from the hard working Armstrong down the right flank and as he fired in a low ball across goal McLaughlin was lurking at the back post and fired to the net to give the home side a 1-0 halftime lead.

Into the second half and with Killough playing with the wind they had Dundrum with their backs to the wall for a long period. Armstrong fired over the bar from in front of the goal 20 yards out on 56 minutes. Minutes later McLaughlin was sent clear by a George precision ball  but his shot rebounded of the post and into the keepers arms. On 69 minutes McKiernan sent McLaughlin clear on the left wing who got past the defender and crossed for Graham who missed the goal with the keeper beaten.

However, the breakthrough came minutes later when Armstrong took advantage of hesitation in the visitors defence and fired to the net to put the home side 2-0 up on 72 minutes.

Dundrum stuck to their task and pressed forward and brought a good save from the home keeper on 81 minutes but try as they might they could not find a way through the Killough rear guard.

Overall Killough deserved this victory with some good performances all over the pitch and both teams should be congratulated on a good game played in testing conditions.

Killough FC: Adrian Hinc, Robert Hagan, Gareth George, Sean Og Burns, Colm Stranney, Matthew McKiernan, Jack McLaughlin, Liam Graham, Ross Armstrong, Declan Burns, Riain Burns. Subs: Ryan McIlhone, Eamon Gargan for  Declan Burns, Ben McLaughlin for Riain Burns.

Dundrum Utd: Johnny McGreevy, Patrick Cunningham, Michael McGrattan, Chris Hogg, Jordan Kennedy, Mark Grant, Shane Todd, Ciaran Fitzpatrick, Christopher Mulholland, Andrew Smyth, Scott McKibben. Subs: Kyle Glavin, Gavin Grant for Patrick Cunningham, Anthony McMullan, Michael Robb, Thomas McShane.