Killough Into Semis Of Bobby Dalzell Cup

Bobby Dalzell Cup Quarter Final

Venue: Annsborough

Castlewellan  0    3  Killough.

Report and photos by Cyril McKinney.

Killough travelled to Castlewellan with an understrength team for this Bobby Dalzell cup tie played at Annsborough and left with the spoils in convincing style. To be fair to Castlewellan they lost their twin attacking threat through injury before halftime which left them with an uphill struggle for the second half.

Killough’s Gareth George makes a break as Castlewellan midfielder Lorcan Cairns closes in.

Killough signalled their intentions from the first minute with Tierney who fizzed a right wing cross across the six yard box which the inrushing McLaughlin failed to connect with. On 10 minutes the Castlewellan defender Clarke narrowly missed with a glancing header from a left wing cross.

Gareth George in form playing for Killough.
Killough’s Matt McKiernan on the ball.

The deadlock was broken on 18 minutes when McLaughlin got the better of his man on the left wing with a surging run and found Armstrong with a pinpoint cross and the big striker  side footed the ball high into the roof of the net giving the keeper no chance from 8 yards. Killough were dominating midfield through McKernan, the hard working McIlhone and George who seemed to be everywhere and their direct running was causing problems for the home defence. Killough seemed hungry for the ball and were first to the breaking ball and quick in the tackle giving the Castlewellan players no time on the ball.

Try as they might the front two of Calum and Shea Croskery could not get much joy from the Killough rearguard of which  the veteran Stranney  and Ben both  stood out. Killough tried a couple of long range efforts from George and Jack McLaughlin before Killough were awarded a penalty  after some quality interchange play involving McKernan, McIlhone and George who threaded the ball through only for McLaughlin to be upended in the box.

George converted the resulting spot kick despite the best efforts of young Morgan Croskery in the Castlewellan goals. Just before half-time Killough made it 3-0 when George got the better of his man on the left wing and crossed for McLaughlin  who nipped in at the front post and slid the ball past the helpless keeper. Castlewellan had to make a double change due to injury before halftime with both Calum and Shea Croskery being replaced by Lundy and McCabe.

On the restart into the second period Killough replaced the injured Jack McLaughlin with Declan Burns and continued as they finished the first half on the attack. Ross Armstrong volleyed a half chance over the bar from 16 yards from a corner.

McIlhone saw a goal bound long-range shot deflected for a corner on 55 minutes and on 61 minutes McKernan fired over the bar from the edge of the box. The Castlewellan keeper made a smart save high to his left on 75 minutes denying George a breakaway goal. As the game entered its final stages the game lost its impetus with Killough in the ascendency and Castlewellan accepting the inevitable defeat.

Castlewellan Forest: Morgan Croskery, Darragh Ward, Gareth Kidd, John Clarke,Jonathan Addis, Callum McKibben,, Lorcan Cairns, Calum Croskery, Shea Croskery, Jake Morgan, Eoin Travers. Subs: Paul McVeigh for , Ryan Lundy for Calum Croskery, Callum McCabe for Shea Croskery, Noel Travers for Darragh Ward, Jack Murnin.

Killough FC: Adrian Hinc, Ben McLaughlin, Kian Tierney, Colm Stranney, Sean Og Burns, Jack McLaughlin, Gareth George, Matthew McKiernan, Tony McIlone, Rianin Burns, Ross Armstrong. Subs: Liam Graham for Ross Armstrong, Declan Burns for Jack McLaughlin, Eoin Dignam for Kian Tierney.