South Down Sinn Féin MLA Chris Hazzard has welcomed the announcement of an investment totalling almost £1.5 million to in five Down schools.
The Department of Education announced the investment as part of a package of development for schools across the North.
* St Brigid’s Primary School, Downpatrick, is set get £145k for special educational needs accommodation.
* St Malachy’s Primary School, Castlewellan will receive £132k to fund a replacement roof;
* Our Lady & St Patrick’s Primary School, Downpatrick, is to get £315k for a kitchen refurbishment;
* Shimna Integrated College, Newcastle, will enjoy £500k for a new sports hall;
* and St Mary’s High School, Downpatrick, will see £420k for window replacement.”
Mr Hazzard added: “These minor works schemes will each improve the educational experience for the pupils attending the five schools.”
Downpatrick Councillor Naomi Bailie also said: “Sinn Féin is continuing to deliver in South Down. I am delighted that funding has been secured for these essential works across the schools estate.
“I particularly welcome the investment of nearly a million pounds into three separate schools in Downpatrick.
“Development of our schools estate is vital to ensure that quality education can be delivered.
“Pupils passing through these schools will reap the benefits of this investment for years to come. This announcement is especially timely given the Ministers recent visit to Downpatrick where he visited some local schools and youth settings,” added Cllr Bailie.]]>