Fatal Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Incident Shakes Newcastle

0
22

Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the sudden death of a 60 year old man who was found in a house on the Castlewellan Road in Newcastle last night, Friday 29 April.

In a brief statement, a police spokesperson said a multi-agency investigation is now underway and a post-mortem examination will take place to determine the cause of death. It is thought that carbon monoxide poisoning was the cause.

There are no further details at present.

South Down MP Margaret Ritchie (SDLP) has extended her condolences to the family of a 60-year old man who was found dead at a house in Newcastle, County Down. The house on the Castlewellan Road was the scene of a major incident involving carbon monoxide poisoning in which five people including two paramedics were hospitalised last Friday evening around 7pm.

Four ambulances were at the scene of the carbon monoxide poisoning incident in Newcastle.
Four ambulances were at the scene of the carbon monoxide poisoning incident in Newcastle.

Margaret Ritchie said: “I was shocked and saddened to learn of the incident that unfolded in Newcastle last night. No one expects this kind of tragedy to descend upon their lives so suddenly and the family and friends of this man will be left utterly devastated. The thoughts and prayers of the entire community are with them today.

“Our thoughts are also with those still recovering in hospital including the two paramedics who were fell ill in their efforts to help others. We must never forget the daily risk our emergency services take to protect the public. Their bravery must be commended.

“This tragedy has thrown into sharp focus the danger posed by carbon monoxide and I urge everyone to ensure that they have a detector in the homes and that they test it regularly.”

The SDLP South Down MLA Seán Rogers added: “To wake to such devastating news that a life has been lost is beyond tragic. Firstly, my thoughts and prayers are with the family concerned and the neighbours who were involved.

“The community of Newcastle has already experienced the horrors of carbon monoxide so to learn of this death is soul destroying. I will continue to keep the victim, his friends and family in my thoughts and prayers.”

Sinn Fein’s Chris Hazzard has expressed his sympathies following the death of a 60-year old man from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Mr Hazard: “The death of a 60 year old man in a house on the Castlewellan Road in Newcastle is a tragedy. It has shocked and saddened the local community.

“I want to express my condolences to the family and friends of this man at this difficult time. Five other people, including two paramedics, were also taken to hospital as a result of this incident and I wish them a full and speedy recovery.

“The authorities must now carry out an investigation to find out exactly what happened in this incident.”