Drumaness Win Junior Cup Final Against Ardglass

Drumaness secure their junior championship hopes in cup final

Drumaness secure their junior championship hopes in cup final

Parador Lodge Junior Gaelic Football Championship Cup Final

Friday 13th October at Pairc Esler,Newry.

Final Score: Ardglass 1-10 3-8 Drumaness

Both teams were hopeful of winning the coveted Junior Cup at Pairc Esler … but there could be only one winner on the day writes Jim Masson.

Ardglass have performed well in the championship matches up to the final undefeated, and much better disciplined and focussed than the previous season, and Drumaness had to replay one match to reach the final.

But Drumaness had a fully fit squad, and all their ducks were well lined up peaking at the right time.

The winning Drumaness team who beat Ardglass in the Junior Cup Final.

Ardglass were the first to draw blood with a point from Caolain O’Shea after a solid build up.

Drumaness replied with a quick attack and Owen Madine made a crucial pass to Owen Wright to made no mistake with the first goal.

Drumaness stepped up the pressure on Ardglass and they looked dangerous cutting into the Ardglass back lines.

On a break, Aontoin O’Shea for Ardglass pointed kicking at a sharp angle pulling one back.

But Drumaness unperturbed fought back and Daniel Bell opened the scoring with a point in play.

Then Ardglass James Crangle hit the Drumaness post early firing at an angle. The game was finely poised.

Drumaness players celebrate their win.

O’Shea again pushed through to the Drumaness goal but lost possession.

On a break Paul Gilchrist found ample space and took an easy point from Ardglass on 13 minutes.

A moment of drama occured two minutes later when Drumaness crowed the Ardglass goal mouth and Callum Croskery surrounded by defenders managed to hit the ball backwards over the Ardglass bar for a point.

Ardglass then stepped up a gear and had a spell of dominance with results then Drumaness struck a blow.


Daniel Bell and Owen Wright went up for a high ball and the ball bounced from the pack to Donal Kennedy who was unmarked in front of the Ardglass goal and scored with ease.

Ardglass relpied again with a quick attack but their apparent weakness in defence was causing them issues.

The Drumaness GAC captain Gary Murdock who steered his steam to victory in the County Junior Cup.

They won a free on 16 yards and captain John Polley pointed comfortably. This was followed by another point from Michael Magee who took the point well considering he was under considerable pressure from defenders.

Despite Ardglass throwing all they had at Drumaness, it was the latter who scored next with a point from captain Gary Murdock.

Ardglass were trying to close the difference before half-time and O’Shea made a great run at the Drumaness goal but was denied by a great save by Druamness keeper Ryan Walsh.

Drumaness had a decisive 4-point lead but Ardglass were not done yet.

Jamie McDerby was taken down and O’Shea took the free. Michael Magee got on the end of the ball and scored a goal close in for Ardglass closing the gap to just a point just before half-time.

Half-Time score: Ardglass 1-06. 2-04 Drumaness.

When play re-commenced, Ardglass took a quick point when Magee was fouled and Polley took the free. The game was now level and all to play for.

Then Madine had a great run into the Ardglass defence and hit the ball to the left hand side of the goal low beating keeper Stephen Moore. It was advantage again for Drumaness.

At this point the pace was relentless and a bit more physical. McDerby was taken down by Phlip Cassidy and a yellow card was issued.

Owen Wright in action for Drumaness against Ardglass’ Neil McAleenan.

Magee hit a high ball into the Drumaness goal mouth and Jack O’Shea and Caolain O’Shea almost tipped the ball over the bar.

But the well-disciplined Drumaness side were quickly back on their toes and won a free on the 16-yard line and the point was claimed by Murdock and this was followed by another point by Paul Gilchrist.


Ardglass tried to fight back but whatever they did, Drumaness were bouncing back. Owen Madine had a super run through and pointed next for Drumaness who were creeping ahead.

Drumaness captain Gary Murdock playing midfield was taken down by Ardglass’ James Crangle.

Then on 23 minutes Drumaness made a solid team effort passing well and got into the strike zone but a timely interception from Magee ended the effort.

Ardglass half back Shane Teggart keeps and eye on Drumaness half back Owen Madine.

Ardglass clawed back a point from a free taken by Polley, but that was quickly undone when Madine and Wright both pointed for Drumness who were determined to hold on to their advantage.

Ardglass were fighting to the last but the final whistle beat them in the end as they desperately tried to close the difference.


Final Score: Ardglass 1-10 3-8 Drumaness

Ardglass GAC: 1 Stephen Moore 2 Malachy Crangle 3 Liam Kearney 4 Sean Paul Halpin 18 Antoin O’Shea 6 Corey Mahon 7 Stephen Rooney 8 Jack O’Shea 9 Shea Dorrian 10 Shane Teggart 11 Michael Magee 12 Caolain O’Shea 13 Jamie McDerby 14 John Polley (C) 15 James Crangle.

Subs: 5 Owen Curran 16 David Armstrong 17 Gavin O’Shea 19 Conor Feenan 20 Mark Magennis Jonathan O’Connor 22 Eoin McMullan 23 Eamon McEvoy 24 Dara O’Shea.

Drumaness GAC: 1 Ryan Walsh 2 Ciaran Brennan 3 Jason Noade 4 Philip Cassidy 5 Ryan Connolly 6 Gary Murdock (C) 7 Owen Madine 8 James Ferris 9 Oran Carew 10 Owen Wright 11 James McGivern 12 Paul Gilchrist 13 Donal Kennedy 14 Tommy McConville 15 Daniel Bell.

Subs: 16 Gary O’Hare 17 Callum Croskery 18 Neil McAleenan 19 Jack McMullan 20 Nathan Jones 21 James McClean 22 Callum Dougan 23 Chris Hazzard 24 Mark McClean 25 Conor Lynch 26 Darren Lyons 27 Ben Stranney 28 Jack Fegan 29 Conor Carew.