The Weekly Club Notes For Downpatrick FC.
- The ladies kicked of their season with a NIWFA Cup match when they welcomed Crewe United to in Dunleath, Downpatrick won the game 3 Nil, with goals scored by Aisling Flynn, Caiomhe Robinson and Aimee O’Higgins. The match was sponsored by Downpatrick Sports Centre.
- The under 17’s reached the final of the Plate Competition when they comprehensively defeated Comber Rec by a score line of 7 – 1. The star of the show was David Forsythe who scored an impressive five goals, Brian Kennedy and Jack Fitzsimons scored the other goals. The details for the final have yet to be released.
- The under 15’s played Celtic Bhoys on Saturday morning and enjoyed a relatively impressive victory to secure their place in the final by a score line of 6 – 2, the goals were scored by Finn Trainor, Jack Rogan and Lewis Green who all score two each.
- The under 13’s faced Camlough Rovers last Saturday morning in Dromore, this was the same opposition they had faced the week previous in the semi-final of the cup. Saturday’s match was a game of two halves, Camlough with a strong wind at their back raced into a two nil lead but in the second half Downpatrick came out strong and brought themselves level through PJ Byrne and Caleb Patterson.
- The under 12’s (2007’s) played Tollymore Bears at Dromore Pitches on Saturday morning. The Downpatrick side were caught napping and allowed Tollymore to get a two goal lead. Some words of encouragement at half time and a different Downpatrick came out in the second half. Seany Duggan started the ball rolling when he nipped in between the defender and goalkeeper to poke the ball into the net. The equaliser was scored by Charlie McShane who showed great persistence to get past 2 defenders get a shot off which the keeper initially saved but he reacted quickest to send the ball to the back of the net. Downpatrick scored the winner five minutes before the end when Ben Shaw sowed his pace to latch onto a through ball and calmly side foot the ball past the Tollymore keeper.
- The 2008’s continued their winning run when they beat North End United 5 – 2, Downpatrick’s goals were scored by a Leo Noble brace, Shay Holland and Jack Hynds.
- Our Mini Soccer training will take a break next week for Easter before continuing on 29th April from 6.00pm – 7.00pm at the St Dillon’s Avenue pitch. This training is for children born in the following years 2009, 2010 & 2011. Players are asked to dress for the weather, wear football boots and shin guards. All old and new players are welcome. For more information contact Paul Moore on 07549 661772.
- Training for our 2012 and 2013 age groups will take a break next week for Easter before continuing on 29th April from 6.00pm – 7.00pm at the St Dillon’s Avenue pitch, please note that children will be outdoors and it’s important they are dressed for the weather and are wearing shin guards and football boots.