* Result of the week was the Under-14 Camog’s great win in the championship where they defeated Ballyholland. Well done to our young Camog’s writes Martin McClean.
* Well done to Down and Michael Cunningham who advanced to the Ulster Senior Championship semi-final following the impressive victory in Celtic Park on Sunday past. It was certainly a fantastic win especially when you consider that Derry had not been beaten there this season. Now for the small matter of a semi-final with Donegal! Well done Down!
* “Mr and Mrs, be nice to each other”. That was the start of the theme tune that used to blast out every Sunday afternoon to herald the beginning of a show which was very popular back in the early Eighties. Who can remember Derek Batey asking questions of couples to see how well they knew each other? We may not have Derek Batey. This Saturday night 8 June at 9.00pm in the Club we will have the gentile Mr Kevin Sweeney interrogating the couples who will take part in the show.
The couples who have put themselves up for the inquisition are Rory & Veronica, Helen & Gary, Paul & Nina and a mystery couple. Rory has been seen trawling the local supermarket looking and product prices, meanwhile Veronica has been counting the numbers on a dart board in the Club. Make sure he knows your number one Veronica (top of the board beside the twenty!) Gary has been learning the words of the Rose of Tralee.
You know the line “She was lovely and fair as the rose of the summer”. That’s all you need to know Gary. Helena you just need to say “Up Down” (you know in that nice wee Kerry accent!) and we will all love you! Paul you might be asked did Annsbrough ever beat the Town in a championship final? The answer is yes! But say no for the craic as we need at least one couple disagreeing. Nina you just answer you nothing about Hurling (neither does Paul!).
Finally a mystery couple. He’s a Senior Footballer, she’s a Senior Ladies Footballer, he’s an average(ish) footballer, she’s a great footballer, he will be annoyed by that last comment and she will be delighted! This is a member’s night with live music and a drinks promotion so please come along to what will be a great evening’s fun for all members to see.
* The juvenile sponsored walk will take place on Sunday 16 June at 2 pm. Sponsorship cards will be made available to all juvenile members over the next week. This is an important fund raising event and we would urge all juvenile members to take part.
* The Senior Ladies Footballers are continuing their impressive run of results with an emphatic victory over Annaclone. There were signs at the Feis last week that the 15 – a – side game which would follow would be a tight affair. Unfortunately for Annaclone that was not the case. The Town Girls racked up a large goal count to win handsomely in the end. Well done to our ladies and keep up the good work.
* The Seconds Footballers recorded a good win over Loughinisland last Friday night in St Malachy’s Park. In a first half where Castlewellan dominated, Loughinisland had several gilt edged goaling chances which may have put a different perspective on the game. Leading by 7 points at half-time you would have thought the Town would have pushed on and made the outcome more comfortable. Loughinisland did not see it that way dominating large parts of the second half. That said the Town defence was resolute with some fine tackling. In the end the Town held out for a good four point win.
* The training Schedule for the week is as follows; Thursday 6 June at 6.30- 7.30pm Bann Road P3-P5 Hurling. Friday 7 June 5.00pm-6.00pm St Malachy’s Park U-12 Boys Football. Saturday 8 June 10.00-10.45am St Malachy’s Park Nursery, P1 & P2 Hurling and Camogie. 10.00-10.45am St Malachy’s Park P3-P7 Camogie. 10.00-11.00am St Malachy’s Park U-12 Boys Hurling. 10.45am-11.30am St Malachy’s Park Nursery, P1 and P2 Boys Football and Girls Football. TBC St Malachy’s Park P5/P6 Hurling Blitz
* The Attack Fitness Circuits will continue in The Club on Thursday evenings at 7.00pm.
* The new club gear has arrived and will be distributed this week. The training tops ordered will take a little while longer and will be distributed separately. Distribution will take place on Tuesday and Wednesday Night (4-5 June) at 7.45pm in the main hall Night. Please see our website www.castlewellangac.com.
* The Castlewellan AC weekly runs continue every Tuesday and Thursday leaving the Club at 7.00pm. Many of the members have recently been involved in the Hill & Dale series taking place in the Mournes. It is good to see Neil McVeigh breaking into the top 100 at a recent race. Other runners showing up well include Anita McGeough, Mary Knight and Sinead Murtagh
* The numbers in this week’s lotto were 2, 7, 15 and 27. There were no jackpot winners and three £20 winners this week; Paul Hanna, Colm Crilly and Maire Crilly. Next week’s jackpot is £4000.