Belfast Giants Beat Dundee Stars From Two Down

Giants come back from two down to enjoy win over Dundee Stars

Giants come back from two down to enjoy win over Dundee Stars

The Stena Line Belfast Giants overturned a 0-2 first period deficit against the Dundee Stars at home on Friday night, banking a 5-2 win ahead of tomorrow’s sequel in Scotland.


The Dundee Stars were on the board early as a fortunate bounce in their own third sent them on a three-on-one breakaway through the neutral zone at 3:14, with Johan Eriksson firing home on Giants goalie Peyton Jones from close range. (0-1)

The Giants went 1 for 1 on the penalty kill as Scott Conway sat for hooking at 9:08, but Ciaran Long’s high sticking penalty at 14:43 saw the Stars bear down on goal. The puck found Drydn Dow who unleashed from the top of the slot to double the lead on the power play at 14:43. (0-2)

Giants’ Scott Conway in action during Friday nights Elite Ice Hockey League game against the Dundee Stars at the SSE Arena, Belfast. ( Photos by William Cherry/Presseye.)

Giants forward Steve Owre picked an opportune time to display his sublime hands, working his way in on goal from the left at 18:48 and dangling defenders and Stars goalie Anton Svensson alike, sending the home side in at the break with a degree of optimism. (1-2)


Belfast made a much-improved start to the middle period, pouring forward on the Dundee Stars even handed throughout the first five minutes, until Carter Folk’s slashing call at 24:00 continued proceedings on the power play.

As the mid period approached the Giants noticeably ramped up their physicality at the back end.

Both goalies were tremendous as the sides swapped penalties in a frantic and end to end phase. Ian Parker’s elbowing call at 28:55 sent Belfast onto the power play, before Josh Roach made it to 4 on 4 with a hooking penalty at 30:14.

Belfast Giants’ Lewis Hook celebrates scoring against the Dundee Stars.

Belfast equalised in stunning fashion when Matt Foley’s long stretch pass to David Gilbert was squared from the right to Darik Angeli- who send it past Svensson with a vicious one timer at 33:58. (2-2)


Belfast tallied their go-ahead goal courtesy of Lewis Hook, who found himself in front of the crease during an early phase of pressure at 41:42. (3-2)

Erik Naslund’s hooking penalty at 44:55 sent Steve Owre on a sensational solo effort on the power play; dodging his way over the left side of the blue line before cutting into the slot and firing over the shoulder of Svensson at 45:16. (4-2)

The Giants killed off a Scott Conway cross checking penalty at 53:01, and a Phillipe Sanche tripping call at 57:21 brought a premature end to Dundee’s 6 on 5 advantage with the net left empty.

Svensson headed for the benched again after the restart, and Will Cullen promptly sent the puck into the empty net from range at 58:57. The Giants eased their way through the final minute, and onto another comeback win, as Carter Folk headed to the box for roughing in the aftermath of the goal. (5-2)


The Stena Line Belfast Giants face the Dundee Stars once again tomorrow night (Saturday) in Scotland at 7:00pm, before returning home to face the Nottingham Panthers at The SSE Arena, Belfast on Friday 13th January at 7:00pm. Tickets are on sale HERE!

(Report by Belfast Giants: Joe Neil).