Ballynahinch United Progress In Intermediate Cup

IRISH INTERMEDIATE CUP ROUND 3 BALLYNAHINCH UNITED 1  CLIFTONVILLE OLYMPIC 0 United progressed into the 4th Round of the IFA Intermediate Cup with a well deserved win over Cliftonville Olympic at the Millbridge on Saturday writes Gilbert Cromie. The day started in sombre mood as both sets of players, officials and supporters observed a minutes silence to mark the recent bereavements in the Mousley and Young families. Play was quite even in the opening period of the game however with a gusting wind behind them United enjoyed long periods of possession in the Cliftonville half with Stuart McMullan put in a number of teasing crosses from the left side of midfield. The referee was quite busy in the opening quarter dishing out bookings to Mousley and Gugulev but strangely none to the opposition players for equally robust challenges. The game came alive in the 30th minute when Ian Boal latched onto a loose ball following good work by Alan Patterson and Ian McMullan and raced to the edge of the six yard box before poking the ball under the advancing Cliftonville keeper to give the home side the lead. Five minutes later United midfielder Michael Mousley was dismissed after receiving a second yellow card for what appeared to be a genuine 50/50 challenge. United were very much on the back foot for the remainder of the half however their defensive line up of Gary Walsh, Ross Hayes , Scott Brashaw and Alan Dickson worked tirelessly resulting in keeper Brian McMullan having little to do other than field long range efforts the majority of which were off target. In the second half Cliftonville had the wind advantage but despite their numerical advantage the home side restricted them to a mere three half chances which keeper Brian McMullan dealt with comfortable. Cliftonville had a player dismissed after 70 minutes when he received a yellow card for simulation. Roman Gugulev who was playing his second game for the club worked tirelessly up front as the lone striker holding the ball up well in the opposition half and linking with his midfield. Adam Herron, Gareth McMullan and Gareth Bingham entered the fray as the second half progressed each playing their part in what was a wonderful team effort to secure a place. This week United travel to Division 2A side Kircubbin for what is expected to be a difficult Clarence Cup match. BUFC CLUB NOTES The Swifts played their first match for over a month when they visited Kilroot Rec. however despite goals from Johnny Stevenson, Scott McKibbin and Matty Shaw they lost 4 – 3 in what was a very close match. The home side came back from 3 – 2 down thanks to a equalising goal that went in via a massive deflection and a winner that was hotly disputed as the scorer was considered to be offside. The Albion who were missing a number of experienced players went down 4 –0 to league newcomers Kirkistown in the Harry Clarke Cup. The Youth Section is holding a Quiz Night [see Club House Notice Board] at Rockmount Golf Club on Saturday 12th February 2011. Those wishing to attend should contact the Club Secretary so that transport arrangements can be made.]]>