Ballynahinch United Back Into Groove Against Bloomfield



Division 1a


United travelled to Bloomfield for their first league match in around a month and for most of the match that was quite apparent writes Gilbert Cromie. The home team who have had a series of setbacks in recent month were obviously up for the game and their hunger was obvious.  Throughout a poor first half it was Bloomfield who were quicker to the ball and despite a reasonable defensive showing by United it was no big surprise when the home side went ahead.

In the second half United came out with more purpose with Ian McMullan and Simon Jackson getting onto the ball more frequently however   they could not force an equaliser.dn_screen

In midfield Cheevers and Carlisle for all their endeavour often found themselves outnumbered.

Midway through the second half Bloomfield doubled their lead and it looked as if the game was well out of United reach however the introduction of substitutes Ian Boal and Johnny Gibson added some impetus and within a short time they got a goal back from Jackson.

Playing more fluidly it seems that they might get back on level terms however an error by the referee, which he conceded at the end of the game, when he allowed a forward to score from an obvious offside position, ended United’s hopes.




The Swifts entertained Rossglass County at the Millbridge in this league game and surely produced their poorest display of the season. The visitors played as a unit throughout and thoroughly deserved their three points. Failure to clear a corner led to the first goal after fifteen minutes when a well struck shot gave McGreevy no chance. There was no further score in the first half and this was in part to a superb save from the Rossglass keeper to deny Aaron McCaffrey.

In the second half the Swifts started lively and again the Rossglass keeper produce an excellent save the keep them out. On fifty minutes Rossglass doubled the score when a cross evaded the Swifts defence and was fired into the roof of the net at the back post.

The third goal came on seventy minutes and try as they might the Swifts never looked like scoring although Wilcox did it the cross bar with a shot.

A poor show which will need to be improved for their forthcoming Harry Clarke Cup tie.