Ballynahinch Swifts Too Strong For Annalong


NADAFL Premier League Ballynahinch United Swifts 4   Annalong Rangers

The Swifts entertained Annalong Rangers at Langley Road and with a few players coming back after missing a couple of weeks through injury and work commitments they were at full strength writes Gilbert Cromie.

dn_screenThe early exchanges were frantic and untidy with both teams trying to get to grips with each other and the heavy surface.

It was the Swifts who struck first after great work from Jack Patterson on the right wing which resulted in a throw in. Paul King came up from defence and delivered his trademark long throw, which was met at the back post by an accurate Gareth Bingham header that flew into the top corner.

The middle of the park was hotly contested with McPhail making some timely challenges. Annalong forced a corner midway through the half and the Swifts defence failed to deal with it and allowed the ball to creep in at the near post.

The Swifts were determined to get back in front and that they did with good work between Graeme McMullan and Dave Griffiths saw McMullan fire a shot in from the edge of the area to give the keeper no chance.

The Swifts were now in control with John McMenamin and Shaun Bonner letting nothing past them at the back with Scott McNeil making some decent runs forward down the left flank. This coupled with McGreevy in commanding form between the sticks gave the team a solid base on which to attack. Their third goal came after David Griffiths and Allan Massey exchanged passes with Massey then releasing Gareth Bingham who beat his man and fired in a low shot past the keeper from the edge of the penalty area to make it 3-1 at the break.

The second half was scrappy and the challenges were flying in from both teams. Ben Wilson, Matty Manley and Craig McMullan were introduced as subs and Wilson in particular gave the Annalong defence real problems.

Annalong pulled a goal back after half time to make it 3 – 2 but after a couple of penalty appeals being turned down for fouls on Manley, Ben Wilson beat his man in the box and when about to shoot was brought down. The referee gave the penalty and Massey made no mistake from 12 yards to make it 4-2.

The Swifts were able to see out the remainder of the game quite comfortably to secure a win. The competition is heating up for places and it’s important that the numbers increase at training to give manager Davy Teggarty who was away on holiday a problem or two and to help the team continue their eight game unbeaten start to the season.  ]]>