Ardglass Enjoy Early Season Win Over Ballynagross

Ardglass Triumph In Tough Early Season Test Against Ballynagross

Ardglass Triumph In Tough Early Season Test Against Ballynagross

The Newcastle and District Amateur League,

Premier Divison,

League Match,

Final Score: Ardglass 4 Ballynagross 3

Both teams were playing their first game of the season and were keen for win. Ardglass started pressure on the visitors early and Ian Kearney was quite involved in spreading the ball around the Ballynagross goal area.

Ballynagross, however, settled down to contain the home side and the game moved to and fro on the pitch, both teams attacking. The first real opportunity for Ardglass occurred when left winger Brendan McMenamin sent a scorcher of a cross through the Gross goal area and no-one got a toe to it.

Ardglass midfielder Ian Kearney in action against Ballynagross at The Meadow.

On 6 minutes Brendan McMenamin first timed a volley into the middle of the net to the shouts of the Ardglass supporters. But Ballynagross quickly rallied and two minute slater a shot by McMenamin was just wide of the post.

Andrew attacked again and won a corner but it was well defended by Ballynagross.

Then on 12 minutes Ballynagross forward Joseph Burns slotted the ball into the Ardglass net giving keeper James Crangle no chance levelling the match.

Ballynagross forward Joseph Burns crosses to the Ardglass goal area as defender Jordan Deegans closes in.

Both teams went up a gear in the driving rain in the first half. Ardglass forward Steven Galbraith pushed several times at the Ballynagross goal. The game was finely balanced and could tip with just one kick. Burns had a great run past the Ardglass defenders and and volleyed on target but the shot was blocked.

Ardglass were trying where possible to play the balls down their wings, and then Ballynagross stepped up and captain Conor Marron converted a free from the left with a short deflection into the Ardglass net to put the visitors ahead and they stepped up the pace.

Ballynagross forward John Shields pushes towards the goal area as Brendan McMenamin cuts in for Ardglass.

But with 4 minutes to go to half-time, Ian Kearney slotted the ball in levelling the score to a 2-2 draw.

As the second half commenced, Ardglass got into the saddle and tried to command the game, but the Ballynagross defence were well organised and were a hard nut to crack despite a number of useful attacked by Ardglass.

Then the play swung round as Ballynagross started to play forward when Ardglass were giving away a number of free kicks.

At one stage, McMenamin made another great cross from the right and there were roars of appeals for a hand ball on claims the defender made a hand ball. The temperature of the match certainly rose and Ardglass were making well organised challenges.

Ardglass Captain Matthew Rooney battled non-stop through the match against Ballynagross.

Matthew Rooney, captain, was creating some excellent moves for Ardglass but suffered an ankle injury which slowed him down for a spell. McMenamin and Galbraith worked well together and the latter just missed scoring a goal from a cross when he hit a bad connection near goal.

(Ian Kearney went off at 57 minutes giving Dillon Watson the reins.)

Marron almost scored when he just missed a great cross in the goal mouth of the Arglass goal. Then Ardglass won a free on the left and Caolain O’Shea put the ball over to Menamin who was having a great game but his cross to the goal area saw no takers. This was followed a minute later by another first class cross.

Steven Deegan clears the ball as Balynagross attack.

Then as Ardglass sub Dylan Watson was in possession in the box, he was fouled by defender Marron and McMenamin stepped up to the penalty spot and nailed the ball low into the right hand corner beating keeper Cathal Arnold on 78 minutes.

Ballynagross showed their resilience by bouncing back quickly and one crisp attacked disappointed them when referee Mickey McCreesh blew for an offside.

Then the final cut happened on 43 minutes when Arglass player Dylan Watson volleyed the ball from the right towards the Ballynagross back post beating keeper Arnold. Ballynagross’ fate was sealed.

In the second period, in an extraordinary twist, Burns crossed to Declan Dowie and the ball was netted by offside given. The visitors were disappointed after the solid crisp attack.

Ballynagross won a free at 40 yards and Shea McComiskey slammed it into the top of the net from close quarters. And the clock was still ticking!

But as the game ended Ardglass did enough to keep the ball safe in the Ballynagross half.


Final Score Ardglass 4 Ballynagross 3.

Ardglass FC: James Crangle, Malachy Crangle, Martin Halpin, Jordan Deegans, Caolain O’Shea, Matthew Rooney (C), Steven Deegan, Ian Kearney, John Beattie, Stephen Galbraith, Brendan McMenamin. Subs: Ryan McEvoy, Shea Dorrian, Dylan Watson.

Ballynagross FC: Cathal Arnold, Conor Kernan, Cillain McKermitt, Conor Marron (C), Corey Davis, Conor Campbell, Shea McComiskey, John Shields, Philip Doran, Joseph Burns, Aodhan Harney. Subs: Declan Downie, Aidan Mitchell and Déaglán Craig.