Ardglass Enjoy A Win In Local Derby Against Killough

Killough and Ardglass battled in a close match by it was Ardglass who pulled the goals out of the hat

Killough and Ardglass battled in a close match by it was Ardglass who pulled the goals out of the hat

Newcastle and District Amateur Football League.

League Match, at Millfield, Saturday 27th November 2021.

Final Score: Killough 1 Ardglass 3.

It was a cold and sunny afternoon at Killough’s Millfield as they entertained near neighbours Ardglass who sit near the top of the league writes Cyril McKinney.

There was not a lot between both teams in the opening half hour as both teams harried and chased their opposition and didn’t give them time to settle on the ball.

There was a lack of clear cut chances and both teams struggled on an uneven surface to play their passing game. First real threat came from a surging run from midfield by Killough’s McIlhone but he dragged his shot wide from the left edge of the box on 30 minutes.

Ardglass defender Shea Dorrian tries to get the ball off Killough player Cillian Burns. (Photos by Cyril McKinney.)

Six minutes later Ardglass netminder Taggart had to be alert to save well from a nod on again from McIlhone who got himself on the end of a long throwin on the left wing.

At the other end a Taggart shot was well saved by Killough keeper Crangle on 40 minutes and a minute later Halpin was wide of the mark from close in when set up by Deegan with a great through ball.

Two minutes into the second half Ardglass went 1-0 up from a corner. Steven Deegan rose highest and powered home a great header giving keeper Crangle no chance. Killough responded well and were on level terms on 54 minutes through Daniel Taggart who coverted from close range at the second attempt from a right wing cross as the Ardglass defence waited for the offside whistle which never came.

Ardglass forward Stephen Deegan in action against Killough.

Both sides surged forward with a competitive urgency and on 65 minues Ardglass were awarded a free 30-yards out when Magee was adjudged to have been fouled. Up stepped Neil Taggart who drilled a powerful low shot under the wall and into the net .

Taggart was at it again on 72 minutes when he hit a pile driver from near halfway but Crangle superbly tipped it over the bar at full stretch.

Killough responded well and on 76 minutes McIlhone controlled and volleyed wide from a great Sharvin right wing cross and McIlhone was wide of the mark again on 80 minutes when a George cross found him unmarked at the back post.

Killough forward Jack McLaughlin is challenged by Ardglass defender Lee McEvoy.

Ardglass put the game out of Killough’s reach on 81 minutes when Feenan found himself with time and space to fire past a helpless Crangle in the Killough nets. Killough continued to press and had an opportunity on 86 minutes but Looney fired over with only the keeper to beat from a narrow angle.

Some good performances from players from both sides but Ardglass were worthy winners on the day.

Killough FC: James Crangle, Lee Murphy, Gareth George, Eamon Gargan, Kevin Groves, Cillian Burns, Ryan McIlhone, Ruiari Sharvin, Connor Kelly, Daniel Taggart, Jack McLaughlin. Subs: Declan Looney for Connor Kelly , Riain Burns for Daniel Taggart, Sean Og Burns

Ardglass FC:

Christopher Taggart, Shane Taggart, Lee McEvoy, Neil Taggart, Malchy Crangle, Matthew Rooney, Steven Deegan, Sean-Paul Halpin, Michael Magee, Christian O’Connor, Shea Dorrian. Subs: Marc Feenan for Shea Dorrian , Michael Clarke for Shane Taggart, Jordan Finnegan for Matthew Rooney.