A Jack Sharvin Hat-Trick Saves Day For Killyleagh YC

NAFL Premier Division 1. Killyleagh YC 3 Crumlin Utd 2. Match: Tuesday 17th August 2021

NAFL Premier Division 1.

Killyleagh YC 3 Crumlin Utd 2.

Match: Tuesday 17th August 2021.

A spectacular 90th minute free kick goal from Jack Sharvin gave Killyleagh a dramatic victory in their opening Amateur League Premier Section clash of the new season writes Chris Hagan.

It completed Sharvin’s hat-trick on a night of high drama at The Showgrounds on Tuesday night.
With the sides tied at 2-2, Sharvin was fouled as he burst through. Crumlin lined up a five-man wall but he found the corner of the net to spark celebrations.

Even though it completed his hat-trick, he had to share equal billing with goalkeeper Aaron Carberry who produced an outstanding performance including a sensational double save in the 85th minute as Crumlin threatened to claim all three points.

Jack Sharvin with the match ball after scoring a hat-trick against Crumlin Utd.

The visitors had threatened to completely over-run their hosts in the first 20 minutes and they were good value for an opening 16th minute goal from Ryan Gorman.

But Sharvin dragged the YC back into it after 21 minutes when he hammered home after a super through pass from Keegan Rice. This seemed to finally settle Killyleagh and they had chances before the interval from Barry Walsh who was just over, Jack Sharvin with a snap shot from Conor McCarron’s pass and then Conor Hamilton went agonisingly close after a McCarron knockdown.

Crumlin had a big shout for a penalty just before the interval after Killyleagh were caught, waiting on a throw-in in their favour.

At the start of the second half Jack Sharvin made it 2-1 from the penalty spot, beating Marcin Farnick, after he was fouled on the edge of the penalty area from teenager Sam Carson’s pass.

Killyleagh were missing four regulars and they suffered another setback when Jon Joe Sharvin limped off in the 77th minute, with 16 year-old Ethan Davidson given his chance in the frontline. Within a minute, though, it was 2-2.

Crumlin with Ciaran Caddell pulling the strings in midfield were now on top and it took some timely work from the Walsh brothers, Barry and Niall, to steady the ship, with Carberry outstanding in goals.

Despite some backs to the walls defending, quick remarkably they carved out the best chance when both Rice and Hamilton were unable to get a connection to a free kick.

The visitors were reduced to 10 men when Patrick McCafferty was shown a straight red for a tackle on Walsh and Killyleagh finally lifted the siege and made it count with that 90th minute winner from Sharvin.