Devlin Says Carbon Monoxide Awareness Can Save Lives In Down


NEWCASTLE Councillor Laura Devlin  (SDLP) has spoken out on carbon monoxide poisoning – a silent but lethal killer.

She  said: “Carbon Monoxide continues to be the ‘silent killer’ as a colourless, odourless gas that poisons when undetected.

[caption id="attachment_45154" align="alignright" width="359"]Councillor Laura Devlin backs Carbon Monoxide  awareness Councillor Laura Devlin backs Carbon Monoxide awareness in Down. [/caption]

“It is vitally important to raise awareness of the potential dangers linked to Carbon Monoxide which is produced in the burning of all fuels – oil, gas, coal and wood. I would urge everyone to familiarise themselves with the dangers which can result from exposure and the measures which should be taken to keep everyone safe.

“The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are often difficult to diagnose, mimicking those of other common illnesses such as flu and headaches. It is crucial that people remain vigilant and have their appliances serviced on a regular basis.

“It is imperative that every home is fitted with a carbon monoxide alarm so that we can prevent needless tragedy as a result of faulty fuel-burning appliances.  These alarms can be purchased locally for about £20 and could well save your life”.